Yesterday was Ivy’s first day at daycare.  I know this day has been coming for a very long time (we registered Ivy and put down the deposit when I was still 8 months pregnant).  Finding the right daycare was a tough process, there are just so many places that feel like baby jail, but we’re happy with where we landed.  I just don’t think that either Ryan or I realized that life would take on a new kind of busy:


Trying to Keep a Schedule.

4:15 a.m.  — Ryan’s alarm goes off.  He gets up and gets on the bike for a trainer workout.

5 a.m. — Ivy is up.  I get up with her, change her and we go into her room to nurse.

5:30 a.m. — Ryan is off the bike.  We have some family time and get to work on Ivy taking in some solid foods.  Today is apples.

6:00 a.m. — I head to the gym for a quick run on the treadmill / strength training.  The worst part about January is how late the sun rises.  I hate running on the treadmill, but this morning I had no choice.  While I’m at the gym Ryan takes a quick shower, plays with Ivy and tries to get her to sleep for a little longer.  When she wakes up early she usually needs a quick early morning snooze.

7:15 a.m. — I get back to the house and take a quick shower.  Ryan heads to work.

7:30 a.m. — I finish getting Ivy dressed, pack up her bags and my bags and pump supplies (so much stuff to pack) and get dressed my self.

8 a.m. — Ivy and I leave for daycare.

8:20 a.m. — Drop Ivy off at daycare.  Despite sitting down (literally on the floor while the babies were playing) with Ivy’s teachers yesterday and going over her schedule, likes, dislikes and what not, I was still terrified that I missed something, that Ivy would decide against sleeping or eating all day and that the first day would be a disaster.  I felt some what better when Ivy went right to her teacher, sat down and smiled.  all good things.


Welcome to Daycare Ivy.

8:45 a.m. — Arrive at work.

9:30 a.m. — Pump.  So much of my day centers around pumping.  My normal schedule is 9:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. (right about the times when Ivy eats).  I never developed a full milk supply and have struggled with low production since Ivy was 4 weeks old, so missing a pumping session is not an option.  Things have gotten worse since my training has increased (albeit the increase is ever so slight compared to once upon a time) and since my diet has cleaned up (Ryan and I are currently following Whole 30).  In order to do Whole 30 I gave up my favorite lactation cookies so I’m working on increasing my water consumption and making sure I’m eating enough so hopefully a little of my supply will return.

Noon  — Lunch.  Sashimi (with no soy sauce) and a seaweed salad.

1 p.m. — More pumping.  Total for the day = 3 oz. of breast milk pumped.

5 p.m. — More pumping.  I got stuck in a meeting and 4:30 p.m. blew right by me.  Total for the day = 5 oz. of breast milk pumped.  While pumping I got a text from Ryan that he had successfully retrieved Ivy from daycare and that she had an excellent first day.

5:30 p.m. — Leave work and head to the grocery store.

6 p.m. — Grocery shopping at Trader Joes.  Spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, mixed greens, purple potatoes, blue berries, avocados, guacamole, bananas, frozen cherries, frozen peaches, eggs, chicken thighs, pork loins, turkey burgers, bison burgers, frozen veggies, almonds, dates, tomato paste, chicken soup, pea soup, mayonnaise, raw sauerkraut, pickled vegetables and squeezable fruit packs.


Momma, I’m Excited.

6:30 p.m. — Arrive home.  Cuddle Ivy (who was super happy).  Finish dinner that Ryan started (asparagus, mushroom, onions, ground beef and tomato sauce plus a few dehydrated strawberries).

7 p.m. — Some playtime with Ivy upstairs (including her favorite — naked baby time) and then into her PJs and magic sleep suit.

7:30 p.m. — Ivy falls asleep for the first time while Ryan rocked her.

8:15 p.m. — Ivy wakes up, nurses and then falls asleep for the night.

8:30 p.m. — Lights out for Ryan and I (ivy slept through the rest of the night).


Ivy’s Duck.

Share Button
(Visited 342 times)

Kelly Burns Gallagher

mccarter english employment litigator / oiselle team runner / coeur sports triathlete / sonic endurance coach & race director / writer / dartmouth '02 / emorylaw '05

1 Comment

Janice · January 10, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Congratulations! I have not visited your blog in a while but just read the last two posts. First, you are amazing and know that none of this is easy. I am in awe of your incredibly ambitious racing schedule for the year. Please remember to be kind and to forgive yourself if you miss a workout or two because something comes up or you are too flat out tired. Baby Ivy is absolutely beautiful. Everything will fall into place eventually and I would bet you will find yourself getting faster in no time, especially if you run with a stroller. Good luck and thank you for sharing. Congrats again.

PS – once you are officially done, it is perfectly ok to cause harm to your breast pump if you think you might not need it again. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *